Monday 23 February 2015

Moving into the Light

I am lucky to have a dedicated space for my sewing. My only complaint would be its location -the basement. It's cold and dark down there, and while I can put on a toque, an extra sweater and turn on the space heater, I can't make it light. By the beginning of January, I crave light. And in the summer, I'd prefer not to be inside, let alone downstairs.
At the same time, the Geek's home office needed some modifying. She was spending more time working from home and her current set-up of a table top on a round table wasn't doing her wrists any favours.
We planned an upgrade that would give both of us standing work stations.
This is what the room looked like before, with (from left to right) the Geek's desk and tool shelf and the futon (where we take turns reading and napping).

This is the new arrangement.We bought a couple of bookshelves from Ikea, and used the old kitchen countertops and a countertop the Geek used as a desk in her old apartment, so it wasn't too costly a job.

 My sewing stuff is in the corner, then a shared workspace (which amazingly, after about six weeks is still not piled full of stuff) and the Geek's computer. The futon stayed where it was while the Geek's tool shelf has moved to the top end of the futon.

This arrangement provides plenty of space and supplementary light for us both, and allows me to channel my inner Mrs Kravitz. ;D Being warm and comfortable -the height of luxury!

4 comments:

  1. This looks like perfection, as long as you can work in harmony! What, pray, is a toque? It sounds like a medieval torture implement. It isn't, is it?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can work in harmony, the odd time we are both there.
    Luckily, a toque is not a medieval torture instrument. Toque is a french word -I think the English equivalent would be a stocking cap, tho' here it is a word generally applied to most casual winter head gear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!! I need light, too. I also like the idea of a standing workspace. I really do spend way too much time sitting on my bum. Your space looks so warm and interesting. I love seeing other people's plants and objects (I note a Mountie.). I also like that leaded glass window that I see. Am I right? PS I remember Bewitched with fondness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A standing workstation is lovely. I've had one at work for about a year. At first I just used empty boxes for my keyboard and mouse but when they started getting mushy, I bought a version of this http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/90243297/ and the Geek cut the legs down for me.
    Yes, a Mountie and the glass window comes from the house where I grew up. There were three and my sisters and I now each have one.
    Ah, Bewitched. I don't know how much time I spent trying to learn to wiggle my nose...

    ReplyDelete