Sunday 17 August 2014

The Nostalgia Dress. Sub-titled: Mapping a Mash-Up

 
ETA: Something resembling a sentence in my opening line. The first attempt made no sense at all.

I like my Sewaholic Cambie, but there is one thing about the bodice I'm not keen on - I find it rather open at the neckline.

When I decided to make use the map fabric for another dress, I decided I'd use the Cambie, but with a different bodice front.


I've always liked the look of Vogue 1136 and have had it in my stash for quite some time. But I don't like the back-it's far too casual considering the glamorous picture on the envelope. The front however has sleeves closely resembling those on the back bodice of the Cambie, so with that, I had the bodice of my dress. Then I decided I wanted a fuller skirt then the one on the Cambie, so brought out the New Look 6843. But added the Cambie's pockets -I like skirts with pockets. So it is still kind of a Cambie. If you are very liberal minded, that is.


In the pictures the front looks better than the back, but I think it's the way I'm standing.


The front armhole is rather square -I'll round it into more of a curve next time. I think I would also make it a touch longer.


I like the way my new 'Cambie' turned out. The fabric is a nice weight and the map makes me happy. I like maps and they seem to be fading from usage, no doubt due to the adoption of the GPS. I find that a huge pity given the one time I used a GPS (I was driving my sister's car) it insisted I was not driving on a road. The technology was outdated and could have been a problem for someone who didn't know the route.

Whenever I can find them, I still collect maps of places I have been. Maps give me a more complete view of any place I've been and I can't see how a GPS can ever replicate that.

6 comments:

  1. This really does make a super cute dress. I'd like something in a map print now! Btw have just returned from Pembrokeshire, Wales - the sat nav didn't work at all - maybe it was all the unmarked roads (who knows), but my brother tells me this is common in this area. My daughter and I map read all holiday and we had quite a sense of achievement when we actually arrived at our destinations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Geek used a sat nav last time she visited Germany -maybe because she was alone. The previous time we were both there, a map was just fine.

      Delete
  2. Nice dress! I love maps too. When I was a kid I could look at an atlas for hours.
    Thanks for the comment on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the same way -maps and my mom's button jar. I would stay out of trouble for ages.

      Delete
  3. Map fabric? Serious swoon. My inner geographer is very envious.

    GPS changes the way we use maps but I think it's a bit like a Kindle vs paper books, of anything they might have increased our use of spatial data.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, I love Google Earth but there is something about laying out a map and seeing how the whole are fits together that you can't get from a GPS or Google maps/

      Delete